1. Make Richmond BC a city with a one of the highest proportions of plug-in electric vehicles in Canada.
2. Provide independent advice for prospective electric vehicle drivers.
3. Lobby governments to continue providing incentives for electric vehicle ownership, to require the installation of charging in existing multi-family residential buildings and to lower electricity rates for home charging in off peak hours.
4. Have fun driving electric vehicles!
We are delighted with the BC Government's Zero-Emission Vehicles Act (ZEVA) which sets a target of 10% of all new light-duty cars and trucks sold in B.C. to be zero emission by 2025 and 100% by 2040. Together with other BC electric vehicle and environmental groups, we are lobbying the BC Government to institute additional measures to promote the use of electric vehicles.
In particular, we believe that the Government should enact "right to charge" legislation requiring the installation of charging stations in existing multi-unit residential buildings upon request by resident electric vehicle owners. The Union of BC Municipalities has passed a resolution supporting such legislation.
Plug-in Richmond is also pushing for the immediate implementation of two additional measures that we feel would provide maximum benefit with minimum effort and cost:
1. The government should implement lower electricity rates for home charging in off peak hours instead of the existing higher rates for exceeding the electrical consumption of a normal household.
2. The government should provide access for electric vehicles with the HOV sticker to the early boarding lanes at ferry terminals.
The City of Richmond now requires EV charging infrastructure in new construction and is the first municipality to do so. City staff consulted with Plug-in Richmond and other stakeholders in developing the bylaws and we look forward to working with the City on charging infrastructure in existing buildings. The City and Plug-in Richmond are collaborating on programs to promote electric vehicles in partnership with Emotive BC.